Thursday 13 January 2011

Young's Barmy Blue 'n' White Army!

Well last night was another night of frustration as Chester had to settle for a draw against the in-form team in the League, and what a first half we had too, as AFC Fylde showed us what they’re capable of with some very swift attacking early on.


Wildey - back on target
It was good to see us respond in the right fashion though with cracking goals from Michael Wilde – good to see him back on the scoresheet again, and then Bradley Barnes grabbing a cracker of a goal too, sadly though we were undone before the break and that was that as far as the scoring was concerned.

It was great to receive a call from Jim Harvey yesterday prior to the game who really enjoys coming back to watch Chester, the last two times I didn’t know he was coming so yesterday gave me the chance to get him down on the pitch as I know he’d not really had the chance to thank the fans for the brilliant support he received during the turbulent times of the SV era around 12 months ago.

A few things had to be boxed off before the game, such as the preparation for the PA, photographers, and of course BiG Lupus, who continues to have his picture taken with the kids, which is great to see at each home game – think he may have got a bit wet last night out there though!

Good to see the mascots enjoying themselves too, with two kids enjoying the Exacta Experience last night, and I must have passed them 100 times whilst they were on their tour of the ground with Lily last night as I did my impression of a human yo-yo with stuff to sort out prior to the game, but they certainly looked to be enjoying the tour, and amongst them was Ian Bedford, former Chester Chronicle Sports Editor – it’s been a while since I saw Ian, and good to hear that he’s a West Stand-er too for our home games.


The real Ashley Williams!
 One of the funny things to happen yesterday was the picture of Ashley Williams that I put on the website, or at least I thought it was Ashley Williams until I received a call from Neil Young whilst on lunch in town yesterday telling me it wasn't Ashley that was in that picture – it was Jamie Reed of Bangor City, he hopefully enjoyed his brief stint on the official website – it was removed as soon as I was in position to remove it!

So, onto the game, and it was certainly a topsy-turvy game and the first half was spent up by the Directors door doing that nodding motion with every header that the boys were heading on the pitch towards goal, and of course wild celebrations with both goals going in only to see a bit of wall slapping when they made it 2-2.

I decided to head off to the Harry Mac Terrace for the second half to join in with the singers behind the goal – it’s what I used to love doing so a chance to get the vocal chords going again!

The lads in there were great, and lots of banter to be had too and the “I am a Chester fan, I am a Cestrian...” song made its debut and will hopefully be repeated for a good while yet – come on lads, don’t let me down!
Young's barmy blue n white army
For the record, here’s the lyrics:

I am a Chester fan,
I am a Cestrian,
Youngy’s barmy Blue n White army,
Chester FC top of the league*,
And I’m proud to beeee Chester FC!


*possible Plan B in case we get knocked off the top “We are the boys in Blue and White”


Also, a bit of encouragement was given to the Main Stand & the West Stand to give us a song of their own, and they did so too – good on them. The fans really got behind the side last night, and I’m sure that was appreciated by those playing in blue and white on the Exacta pitch.

So, the fans in good voice, we’ve kept Fylde at arm’s length in the table, we’re still top and unbeaten in 2011, it’s not all bad is it, but it would be nice if we could break that January hoodoo on Saturday against Wakefield!

Come on you Blues!

No comments: