Sunday, 7 November 2010

Chester 3 Mossley 0

What a great day that was hey?

Chester running out comfy 3-0 winners, and finding out that Chorley were drawing, then losing their game made it a sweet afternoon at 4.50pm, then hearing that other rivals Skelmersdale & Witton had been held to draws was just the icing on the cake - if only Curzon Ashton hadn't flipping won, but I'm still sitting typing this with a smile on my face as Chester have just gone four points clear at the top of the table.

You can't ask any more that than that can you?

It was another busy day at the Exacta today though, arrived at just before 1pm with the Blues Bar having been opened at 12.30pm for the screening of the Bolton v Tottenham game, which surprisingly ended 4-2 to Bolton, and quickly it was straight into action as the press needed their programmes, followed by Blues Live being shown in - and great to see that like the rest of us, they continue to pay their way, along with the board of directors at the club.

Once Blues Live set up, then off to see the sponsors, some of which were good friends of mine, and pleased to say they seemed like they were enjoying themselves. Already a quick visit had been made to the club shop where thankfully Mrs B had come up trumps with some money for the poppy appeal, so the action was then surrounding my suit as she tried to pin it in the right place!

With 1.30pm approaching it was time to go and hunt the referee down, and ask for permission to get the one minute silence - planned for the remembrance tribute - approved, as we need to confirm this with the match referee first, and gladly this was approved without any concerns. Then a quick blast down to the away dressing room to ensure that they knew the plans for pre match, along with of course Neil Young and the boys.

Then off to get the Mascots programmes signed by the Chester squad for today, and with us having not one, not two, not three, but four mascots for the day, there were set to be some serious RSI claims going in from the home dressing room!

So, 2pm arrived, and one hour to go prior to kick off, and the first of the 1st Battalion Royal Welsh regiment arrived, and time to usher them out on to the pitch so that they could do a few rehearsals of their Guard of Honour that they would perform prior to kick off. One soldier still to come though, and so had to keep an eye out for him arriving - but quickly had to go and see the Control room to check on the situation with the ball boys, who were due to arrive at 2.30pm to marshall the South & West Stand (by the away enclosure).

A quick walk round along with the Mascot party saw us head up the tunnel where Neil Young was waiting, so we could have photos with the mascots, and then up to the Control Room to show the lads what goes on up there with the million cameras that they have!

Normally I'd go and see Cleggy in the PA room at this stage to advise of our arrival with the mascots, but quickly pulled away to meet the ball boys who had arrived by reception, so quickly flew down there to meet them, and take them through to their positions - good to see that they were complete in their footy vests - we had the team from Hawarden Rangers with us, and they'd won earlier in the day 9-0 so they must have been buzzing!

So, once the ball boys were sorted, it was off to the West Stand to check in with some of the fans in there to check on the speaker volumes and to see if they were working okay, which they seemed to be, with Cleggy coming through crystal clear, although too clear for some, but it's a difficult job trying to get the volume to everyone's satisfaction - in fact I'd go on to say that this was nigh impossible.

A quick walk round the Harry Mac then back to the tunnel area just in time for the Army Guard of Honour, and a great round of applause from the Chester fans, acknowledging the troops, one of which had been shot in the mouth whilst in Afghanistan.

Then we paired the mascots up with the players in the tunnel as the referee brought both sets of players out to Fat Boy Slim's "Right Here, Right Now" tune.

A superbly observed one minute's silence was then followed by the match itself, and it didn't take Chester long to get their noses in front, as just before the half hour mark the goal came - after several missed chances already, and it was captain George Horan who put the Blues one up with a goal which seemed to come off the centre half's shoulder, but nobody was complaining!

A few more missed chances and Chester really should have put this game out of sight as I watched from the door up by the Sponsors & Directors area with head in hands happening several times!

Then half time, and time to take a breath, and speak to some more of the fans, including a good mate of mine who was sitting just in front of the press bench, and as usual discussed the first half performance.

Second half then, and normal position resumed, back up by the door, holding it open - I get quite on edge during matches, so find it hard to settle - so end up watching from a plethora of places!

12 minutes into the second half and that elusive second goal is found, as Wildey superbly (what seemed) backheeled the goal into the corner to send all the fans wild (no pun intended honest!), and from that moment on you just knew that we were going to win this game.

Then a great chance for Wildey to score his second, but he lobbed the ball over the keeper following a howler of a goal kick, but Chester's number 10 watched to see his effort bounce off the cross bar and behind for another goal kick.

Then, the unthinkable, Chester were awarded a penalty. Yes, in this our 17th game of the season, we finally had one, and up stepped Wildey to hammer home for a 3-0 lead, and send the Blues fans into raptures, and that was it the end of the scoring, but thoughts were then diverted elsewhere.

Chorley. Yes, the team with more penalties than any other team in the country, had been 1-0 up at the break, but suddenly their Twitter update reported that Harrogate had equalized and news spread amongst the fans very quickly, but better was to follow, as Harrogate then took the lead, and held out to hand Chorley their first League defeat of the season, and better news was to follow as both Skelmersdale & Witton had been held to draws.

So, celebrations at the final whistle, but work not over as whilst ushering man of the match George Horan to the Blues Bar, I recived news that one of our older & most dedicated fans Betty Challoner, had slipped outside the bar and cracked her head, so off to seek the Doctor, thankfully fellow Blues fan & Director Mark H, had already started the ball rolling and the Doctor was on the way very quickly.

After a while checking on Betty, it was time to leave for the day, as I had a meal to head off to following the game, but left the Exacta Stadium with a Cheshire grin on my face knowing that today was a great day football wise, and we had extended our lead.

So, that was it for Saturday, time to celebrate with a few glasses of wine, whilst listening to the fireworks go bang outside!

Final score today. Chester 3 Mossley 0!


Anonymous said...

Banksy, absolute Legend mate, this really shows how much you put in on a Matchday. Sounds like a quiet day, lol :)
Had a great day in Legends Lounge.
Very well looked after by everyone hosting. The Meal was excellent, could eat it again now, sadly its a dominoes on its way after a few in town last night, including a few with some of the players who were in good form.
Best Wishes mate. Ed Jones

Chester said...

Cheers Ed - it certainly was a busy one on Saturday, and a great result!